living large in the dust

I stayed in the city today. “Civilization”, as someone put it.

But first, I opened another door in my advent calendar:

advent calendar

5 doors open, 5 pieces of chocolate eaten, 19 to go – and then it’s CHRISTMAS!

In the early afternoon I went out for lunch and stepped right into this scene:

dusty city

Now you’d think that a car like this has got to be for show – and you wonder why anybody would cover it up in front of a hotel?

The answer lies here: SHIJIAZHUANG IS ONE OF THE MOST POLLUTED CITIES IN CHINA AND ON THE PLANET.

Germans get hysterical when they discover micro-particles in their fresh, clean inner city air, and here there’s a thick layer of dust covering up the whole place. What’s the deal, can’t they get rid of it?

Well, I used to think that this was because of all the heavy industry and the old cars over here, maybe because of the wide use of coal heating and very likely also because of the massive amounts of BBQ street vendors everywhere – but I found it very much the same in the countryside: there is virtually nothing going on – but the dust is still there!

I think that the biggest part of the problem is the desertification of the land: The wind blows loose soil all over this part of the country and right into our respiratory tracts. And no immediate solution is at hand.

That being said, I thought Shijiazhuang was a nice place with quite a bustling atmosphere to it:

Shijiazhuang

I just kind of ran around town, turned my head after all the fine girls everywhere, sat down in a café and had some Western food, spent a little money on a tripod… – I pampered myself.

Here’s the tripod shot, one of the tall buildings is my hotel (full of hookers by the way):

East City Square

I was reluctant to take one along (a tripod, not a hooker), because I was afraid of the additional weight, but now I got a little one that only cost me 60rmb – if it’s too heavy, then I’ll just give it to someone on the way. Wonder what a farmer is gonna do with my tripod? I don’t know either.

Tomorrow is Saint Nicholas Day in Germany: The younglings are supposed to put their shoes outside their rooms, so St. Nick can come fill them up with sweet stuff.

No use putting out my big smelly boots here, though, I reckon…

I’ll leave civilization tomorrow.

• Anand-Gua

Happy Saint Nicholas Day !Although your shoes are too big,you will get enough happiness to make them full!

• joerg

vielleicht kannst du dann besser schlafen, wenn du deine big smelly boots vor der tür lässt 😉

• Ghostie

Happy tripod-ing….don't suck in too much of that nasty air!

• Hailey

Your site is too cool! I will keep you in my prayers and stay away from those hookers! Haha.

• Marvin

It sounds like they need to borrow some good ol Kansas wind to clear the air.

Ananda-Gua: Hope you'll be happy too, how's your writing going?
    joerg: Immer einen Spruch auf Lager, was?
    Ghostie: It's everywhere, the nasty air…
    Hailey: HAILEY!! Wow, it's you! 🙂 Long time no see how have you been?
    Marvin: I tried breaking my own winds to clear up the air but it didn't help!

• Hailey

Yes it is me!! I was wondering if you would remember me 🙂 I'm great, getting ready to graduate from college in May — but that's nothing compared to your journey! You should swim over here to come see us! Haha.

• Anand-Gua

I have finished more than 80,000 characters,only yesterday I finished about 3,000!

Hailey: Of course I remember! 🙂 I'm going to challenge you to a game of disco-bowling when I come to see you guys next time!
    Ananda-Gua: Looks like we are both doing similar things. I am advancing with my feet, you are advancing with your pen! What are you writing about anyway?

• Anand-Gua

My writing is about "Madness in the Chinese literature of 20th".It is too difficult to me,I don't have enough confidence .In fact ,my teacher doesn't support me,after made a call with him yesterday,I was very depressed .

You have to believe in yourself!
    You are so smart and educated, there isn't going to be a single little problem with this paper!

• Anand-Gua

Thank you for your encourage!I will try my best to finish it as soon as possible.

加油!!!

• nameless

last night you complained about a cold room
    today you talked about pollution
    Do you see the problem?

nameless: Yep. A very good point.

This dust is mostly because of the Gobi, I think. I read somewhere, that they are planting lots of trees somewhere over there to prevent the dust going eastward. It even reaches Korea over the sea in late spring! While I was living close to Seoul and went for 11 days of trip in the beginning of May, after comming back I've found sth like 2mm of dust over everything in my room!